Goals achieved and new horizons: here the history and the work plan of Addiopizzo Travel.
- Addiopizzo Travel emerged as a branch of the Anti-mafia ognanization Addiopizzo in 2009: an extension of the ethical consumer strategy against the pizzo it specifically targets the tourism sector.
- In 2010 and in 2011 the Regional Touristic Department of the Sicilian Region has chosen Addiopizzo Travel as the recipient of two grants directed to the planning of touristic itineraries capable of highlighting the Sicilian territory in its several components and resources, and to the internationalization of the touristic product “Sicily”. In particular:
project A.P.Q. “Systematic Actions for the Tourism” between the Department for the Economic Development and Cohesion of the Ministry for the Economic Development and the Touristic Department of the Sicilian Region with the initiative “3 NEW – Sicily pizzo-free”, for the planning of two itineraries on cinema and literature in Sicily and cycle-tourism, still ongoing;
Interregional project “Author Landscapes”, for the organization of two activities of territorial entertainment built on the subjects of the project, that is, two literary strolls occurred in Palermo during December 2011.
To conclude each project, the operators of Addiopizzo Travel inserted an analysis of the quantitative impacts inserting indicators such as number of participants to each event, number of economic operators involved inside and outside the Sicilian territory, and resources implied inside and outside the territory. Usually, at the end of every fiscal year, Addiopizzo Travel tries to quantify the amount of its work both in numeric terms (arrivals/attendance/earnings) and in content terms (new contacts ad collaborations/ number of enrollments/ demonstrations of respect).
- In June 2014 Addiopizzo Travel was awarded with a contribution in de minimis by the Cultural Assets Department of the Sicilian Region for the creation of touristic itineraries able to appraise the historical and artistic patrimony of the city of Palermo, especially the least usable one: the winning idea of Addiopizzo Travel has been to invest on innovative and ecological means of transportation, the Ecolape. The grant, exclusive to the necessary expenses for the equipment, will allow Addiopizzo Travel to purchase the rickshaw provided with assisted pedaling technology, and to implement several thematic itineraries on board of these eco-friendly means of transportation.
- Addiopizzo is part of AITR, Associazione Italiana Turismo Responsabile – Italian Association for Responsible Tourism.
- It won the TO DO! CONTEST in 2011, an International award dedicated to responsible tourism projects. For the past 16 years, Addiopizzo Travel has been the only European organization to win this award.
- In May 2013, Addiopizzo has been one of 10th realities identifiable as social enterprises, associations, or Italian startup to be recognized as Pionieri by the association RENA. The “pioneer projects of social innovation and responsibility” had been inserted in an e-book presented to the Italian Parliament in Rome in April 2014.